Sunday, May 3, 2009

Village Gathering

We had our first "Village Gathering" hosted by Rachel Weast. We were so grateful for her hospitality!





Everyone wore their traditional dress, even little Susan. She is a regular at our jewelry classes.

This is Purna. She is from Bhutan and spent 17 years in a refugee camp in Nepal. She made Nepali tea for all the guests. For many of the women, it was the first time to visit an American home. I asked Purna to tell me one thing she noticed to be different about it and she said, "so many kitchen things."


The American women did not hesitate to support the refugee women by buying their handmade jewely. I saw pure joy on their faces when their pieces where admired and chosen.



We were all pretty tired at the end, especially little Susan.




After the "Village Gathering" I took the women to my parents house to show them were I grew up. I was glad to share a peice of my history with them.

1 comment: