Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Church House Rock!

On Monday, I met with Brian and Mike from New Covenant Community Church. Like many congregations in this community, they've seen massive changes. Unlike many congregations in the community, they're still alive and are coming up with some powerful, innovative ways to bridge cultural gaps.

One of these ways is the arts. Needless to say, it was thrilling for me. While discussing our ministries, we talked about Borges, Dostoyevsky, Tom Waits, and the Handsome Family. Mike, the pastor, prayed very powerfully for our ministry, and Brian invited me to write a song to be played in church.

Those who have read or heard my lyrics will probably agree that church music is not my niche. However, I have a policy of embracing creative opportunities, and it is a chance to dive in to this community, and I have been thinking about the economics of the kingdom a great deal lately, so I said yes.

I've posted a rough draft over on my North Papers blog. I'm not the best self-editor, but I want to bring them something meaningful and well-thought-out. That, my dear readers, is where you come in. Check it out and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment