Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Missionary Ride




We borrowed my brother's car for the past six months. When he came to live with us, we returned the keys. At that point, our friend Jesse Cummins agreed to let us use his for a while until we figured something out.

Today, thanks to a donor named Darrell Suderman, we have wheels! It's a buick with a great interior and (get ready- this is a first for Ruthie and me) a working CD player!

The vehicle has a few minor issues, but that's why we call it a "missionary car." I don't even know if I'd feel like a legitimate minister without a few car problems.

It was interesting to learn how many connections Darrell has with my family. One of his best friends worked on my parents' and my older sister's cars for years. Darrell attends First Baptist Atlanta, where my younger brother works. His home church in Denver is Foothills, which has supported our family for years! And now he donated a car to Ruthie and me.

Which brings me to an interesting point: when you're doing missionary work, it really is a small world. For whatever reason, since moving down here, I have seen some crazy coincidences.

"But Ian," you tell me, "there is no such thing as a coincidence."

"Listen, (your name here), you know what I mean, so just loosen up," I reply.

Which brings me to another crazy "coincidence." I got all excited recently because two of my favorite African musicians, Femi Kuti and King Sunny Ade, are doing a show in Atlanta.

I was telling my fellow missionary Bayo Otiti about this, and he replied that he just happens to have been good friends with Femi Kuti's dad, and Sunny Ade's son had just called Bayo from New York a few hours prior to our conversation.

Interesting stuff.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome ride! We want to try it out some time. What is Adam doing commenting at 3:30 in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. The car I'm borrowing right now has a working cd player for the first time in my life. I love it. Now... to find my own ride...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tutti, I was going to say something about how nothing good happens after 11, but then I realized I didn't comment at 3:30. And you probably didn't comment at 4am. :)

    ReplyDelete