Friday, May 15, 2009

A Question of Strategy


Since college, I have done most of my theological pondering in conversation with close friends. Lately, I've spent a lot of time working through ethics, specifically how we can best present the gospel. 

Last night I drove down to visit my friend Adam Fites. Most people who are really into philosophy and theology tend to be pretty obnoxious in conversation. Adam is one of the rare exceptions, so when I'm wrestling with an issue and I want someone to be patient and helpful as I work out ideas, I talk with him.

Our main discussion topic during this visit, besides Asian cinema, was evangelism. I feel a tremendous weight when I think about the kids who we work with. I want the gospel to take root and bloom in their lives. However, I don't want to cheat.

There are easy ways to generate a prayer. There are ways to pitch the gospel that seem appealing. There are easy ways to offer approval and love on the condition of conversion. There are ways to name people Christian without allowing their hearts to speak true repentance.

I really can't nail down the mechanics of salvation, nor do I wish to judge whether or not any specific conversion "counts." I believe that the Father can use pretty much any presentation he wants. I'm just concerned with following his lead on my place in the whole process.

What I'm working toward is creating rich, full relationships where the gospel can enter lives on its own terms and address hearts personally, directly, and redemptively. At least for now, that seems the most effective way to reach the people around me.

2 comments:

  1. This is one the more thoughtful and encouraging posts I've read in a "missions" blog lately. I pray your heart and mind continues to wrap itself around the great truths of God as you wrestle with the immense responsbility and JOY of taking the Gospel to the Nations..
    Mungu Akubariki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if all true ministry, I mean the kind of human effort that somehow results in changed lives, was totally and completely unconscious?

    ReplyDelete