Sunday, June 21, 2009

Christian Cloning

Today I was thinking about this idea that we, as missionaries, should be working to reproduce ourselves in the people we disciple.

The classic picture is that "professional" ministers shoulder all the burdens of their people until a suitable replacement graduates from seminary. The idea that seems to have replaced that is that ministers reproduce themselves, and you have a trickle-down replication process. This is a step in the right direction, but I think we could do better.

Reproducing myself in others would rob them of the power of their own journey, and it would make for a pretty boring church (although, I admit, such a group of followers would have great taste in movies and music).

So when I work with immigrants and refugees, I'm not thinking about how to help them understand how to do what I do.

I want to help them do what they do best, which will minister back to me in turn.

Think of it this way: Aziz has the power to reach people with his visual art. So I'm not gonna try to turn him into a writer. Bayo is a well-dressed, high society kind of guy. I'm not out to convert him into some flip-flop wearing borderline beatnik like me. Junior is a stubborn and wild kid. I have no interest in turning him into a contemplative, easygoing person. That's my thing, not his.

Each of us has a role to play in the kingdom. Our own stories put us in a unique position to live unique lives. Now that others look to me as a mentor, I consider it my job to help them find their own places in the grand story of God's relationship with His world.

Lord knows this world couldn't handle many more guys like me anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment