Friday, June 26, 2009

The Missionary Life is a Good Life

I hear ministers say things like, "I could be doing so-and-so, and living the American dream..."

The idea, I guess, is to emphasize that they gave up temporary enjoyment for an eternal reward or a more fulfilling occupation.

Today, Britney was walking home to her apartment carrying two bags of groceries. She saw us as we were leaving, ran over and threw her arms around Ruthie, still holding the bags. She then ran around the car to give me a hug. After that, she ran back over and rejoined her dad.

When I think about living here in the International Village, surrounded by lively neighbors, exotic foods, incredible cultural diversity, and a group of kids who are so open-hearted with us, it's hard to feel like we gave anything up.

Sure, there are things I want to add to our life here. I miss the creative scene in Chicago. Bad stuff's gonna happen. I get extremely lonely some days. At some point, we'll want to give up. When that time comes, we'll have to put the good and the bad side by side and pray for the wisdom to rediscover our joy.

But all in all, I can't imagine a more enjoyable way to spend the here-and-now. we're having a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment