Monday, June 1, 2009

Aziz and His Giant Sketch Pad


After getting a YMCA group going with the kids at our apartment complex, then running 5 miles around Stone Mountain, I picked up Aziz to do dinner at our house. We looked through a database of Charter schools in his district, but the information was difficult to decipher.

Any educators out there who can help me figure out if any of the charter schools in the area are good for Aziz? I'd really like to get him into a strong program ASAP for several reasons. The main one being that he wants a better education.

Aziz noticed a picture of Van Gogh's "Mulberry Tree" on our wall, and really connected with it. He had never heard of Van Gogh, so I gave him a rundown on the artist's struggle with depression and the distinct look of his pieces. And of course I had to mention the ear thing.

On the way home, we stopped by Michael's and spotted a giant sketchpad. We had given him one of Ruthie's old easels, so the sketchpad seemed like a good way to put it to use.

He looked at the size of the pad and remarked, "I'm going to need to put a lot more information in my drawings now."

I can't wait to see what happens.

1 comment: