Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Two Fires, Three Reunions

In a recent Rolling Stone article, Jay Leno said that he knew who his true friends were by whether or not they were willing to take him to the airport.

When I asked my friend Josh if he could pick me up when getting back from Lynchburg, he agreed. We rode back into town and grabbed some vietnamese soup and had a great conversation about all sorts of stuff, including faith and mystery.

It was the best and final reunion of a day full of reunions. On my way in to Barnes & Noble, I heard my name called. I turned around to find one of my old floormates, AJ Scanlan, driving a van full of in-laws. He was taking his sister-in-law to Liberty, and happened to drive by at the exact moment I was going from the car into the store.

Back at Liberty, I saw one of the daughters of my dorm parents back in the Philippines. It was crazy seeing her again.

We almost died on the way to the airport. A torrential downpour hit and on a curve the car started sliding across the road. Eric cut hard right, and the wheels grabbed and sent the car shooting toward the other side of the expressway. He was able to get the vehicle under control just in time.

At the airport in Virginia, I noticed smoke pouring from the top of the escalator. I alerted one of the security guards, and as I was boarding, six people gathered around the thing to check it out.

Upon my arrival in Atlanta, the emergency lights were flashing and a voice was saying that the fire alarm had been activated and to stay calm. I didn't see a fire, and everyone was going about their business, so I exited the terminal and found Josh waiting.

My arrival and subsequent time with Josh filled me with a sense of contentment. I was so glad to be back in Georgia with a close friend. Josh dropped me off and I spent the evening reading, thinking, and watching a movie. Back to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment