Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Falwell Country

Well, we're up in Falwell country right now. Specifically, Lynchburg, VA (is there some history to that town name other than what it sounds like? Even if there is, I'd rename it just for PR reasons).

The initial plan was for me to bring Eric up then crash in his room for the night, then fly down to ATL tomorrow. However, they have a rule that no visitors can sleep on campus until school has been in session for a whole week.

Plan B was to stay with Ruthie's relatives. Unfortunately, they turned out to live 2 1/2 hours away, which would cost more than I can afford in time and gas.

Plan C: find a cheap motel. No dice. No room in the Inns while families are bringing their kids up to Liberty. The small town of Lynchburg swells to bursting for about two weeks while school gets up and running.

Plan D: sleep at a rest stop. This one sounded unfun to me. It would require me to either run the car all night for the AC or roll down the windows and let the bugs in along with the balmy air.

Finally, we found a pleasant alternative. A family in town used to work as missionaries in the Philippines, and had an extra bed where I could sleep. I didn't know them personally, but Eric did, and they were so cool about this last-minute request. So now I'm using their internet connection and typing this update before I try to get a couple hours' sleep.

See y'all when I'm back in GA.

No comments:

Post a Comment