Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gold Rush

I was up until midnight working on a project last night, which made my work day about 14 hours long. As a result, I didn't have the energy to write the kind of edge-of-your-seat account of my day that my readers have come to expect.

Now, after a good night's sleep and my morning coffee, I'm ready.

Every year, Perimeter Church in Atlanta hosts a massive outreach to international apartment complexes. One of their teams came to our complex yesterday to run a day camp for our kids.

All of the new kids that came last week returned, and several other kids joined us. Our ministry here is multiplying quickly! More importantly, we're seeing MAJOR changes in the kids we already have relationships with.


Luis, who is holding the chalk and frowning in the picture above, lives in the apartment above ours. From what he tells us and from the ruckus they make up there, it seems he has a pretty hard home life. When we first arrived at the complex, he would not talk to us, and fought with the other kids all the time. He's still trying to maintain his bad boy image, but we've seen his heart soften and we have funny conversations with him all the time.


Iver, pictured above, can hold his own in a soccer match with kids twice his age. He's also humble, generous, and very joyful. Last week, at the end of the events, when asked to say something interesting about himself, Iver said "My name is Iver, and I became a Christian today."
Kalee came for the first time yesterday. She was living with her grandma during the school year, but she and her brother AJ just moved back in with her parents here at Huntington Creek.

As my mother would say, "Mia is cute as a button." She is Kalee's little sister, and we're looking forward to watching her grow with us over the coming years.

1 comment: