Friday, April 30, 2010

Nude Feet


Those of you who read my facebook or spend any kind of time with me know that I have a new obsession - barefoot running.

A couple of my mentors, when I told them about the injuries that keep me from running, mentioned that there are ways I can run to improve my health instead of damaging it. My research led me to a whole community of runners who are healing from injuries and running greater distances by unleashing and listening to their feet instead of insulating them.

While the data on this is still coming in (research generally happens wherever money will take it, and Nike ain't paying for any research on the benefits of running without shoes), I've seen so much improvement in my knee pain, form, endurance, speed, and just plain enjoyment of the run that I'm now a big believer in barefooting.

I've been running either in my bare feet or in a minimal pair of running shoes called Vibram FiveFingers (pictured above, right after their inaugural 4-mile trail run).

So Ian, why exactly are you telling us this on your ministry blog?

Because I have an idea, which I will post on this blog shortly, which ties my passion with barefooting and my desire to see refugees get educational opportunities.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. I've seen these on some runners, and earlier this week saw a post from a guy who wore them on a long walk the first time and had blisters for a week....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah with these shoes or barefooting, the guiding principle is to start slow. I did not follow this principle, taking them on a four-mile trail run through the mountains on the first day I got them. I got blisters. Then today, for my first barefoot road run, I went four miles, and got more blisters.

    My feet are pretty mad at me, but the rest of me is happy as can be, so it's a fair deal.

    ReplyDelete