Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lessons Learned, Relearned

Those of you who got our last newsletter, read about how a burglary attempt at a local bike co-op turned into a conversation about grace.

Today, we had another chance to take a seemingly bad moment and seek a redemptive response. We went into one of the rooms in the apartment to find the words "You Fuck" written on our futon in marker.

Presumably, the author of this statement got the words reversed, but the message still gets across to a discerning reader. The kids who had come for help on their homework had already started to argue about who had done it.

I fumed for a while, running down that usual line of, What did we ever do to the ungrateful brat who wrote that? How could they do this to us? but I didn't get anywhere. I just kept feeling angrier. Then I pulled away into a locked room and prayed, mainly so I could calm down.

We gathered the kids into our living room for a talk, and I decided to use this as an opportunity to explain to them why we decided to move into their neighborhood. It gave me a chance to talk about how forgiving God has been to me, and how we want them to know about his grace.

We went on to talk about the fruit of the Spirit, ending with a rousing song, and then we sent them home.

I go crazy sometimes worrying about how we are doing. Wondering what the long-term impact of this work is going to be. Wondering if our methodology is effective. Tinkering with Mission and Vision statements. Then there are some days, like today, where things fly in the face of my plans, and in my weakness, Christ's truth has a chance to move.

I pray that next time an opportunity arises, I won't get so worked up and prideful before I see the redemptive opportunity before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment