Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reeling and Rolling On

This weekend was so packed, so rich, so energetic, that I find myself sitting at the computer on Wednesday still wondering how to write about it.

A local church, Open Table Community, decided to replace its yearly retreat with a "Core practices weekend." This time was dedicated to engagement with each other and with the local community.

Most people have to do work like mine for years before they find others who buy into the same vision and are interested in both partnering in and reproducing it. Open Table clearly invited Ruthie and me to link them with the community, and several volunteers decided to either help with the afterschool program or move toward creating their own programs.

Now, aside from having two excellent new partners helping the kids with their homework, we are discussing ideas for computer classes, fitness clubs, and a community food co-op. We'll see where it all goes, but we've seen a lot of action from this group. They aren't just talkers.

I think people are generally empowered by looking at our work here. They see that this life of love, hospitality, and service is not only doable, but that it is often rewarding and enjoyable. I hope that we can see more of those who dream of helping others have the courage to stick their necks out and do it.

1 comment:

  1. Brother....

    Hey man. I was just reading about the work you are doing out there... and jumped over to your blog to see some more. When you left, I had no idea you were moving into this. It sounds... well, it sounds incredible. I am praying for you brother.

    When I home next year, I will be coming through your area. I hope to be able to come and see with my own eyes this great new adventure. Oh... and sweet Ikea DVD shelves.

    Much love,
    nesto

    ReplyDelete