Monday, April 27, 2009

Weekend Update

Well, my dear readers, it was a mad blitz of a weekend.

On Friday night, I ran from work over to a missions conference at Mount Calvary Baptist Church. We met an artist who might help my friend Aziz develop a graphic novel about his life story. My younger brother, Eric, and I were so pumped when this picture was taken:




We got up early on Saturday morning to meet the team from First Baptist Atlanta, who threw a top-notch block party for the kids at our apartment complex. While I schooled Eric and dazzled everyone with my soccer skills, the FBA team prayed with ten of the kids to receive Christ:




As soon as that block party ended, I ran over to Huntington Terraces to work with Foothills Baptist Church. They drove a long way to work with us, and the event was a grand slam (now that I'm a missionary, I feel bound to pepper my presentations with bad jokes. Hence the pun).


By the time it was over, I was dehydrated, severely sunburned, and totally exhausted. We went home and watched Blood Diamond, which is an okay movie, but was very moving to me considering its connection to what we do here.


Ruthie and I spent the day Sunday at Mount Zion Baptist Church. They are the first church to invite us to speak and the first church to support our work financially. I gave a presentation in the evening and they were extremely encouraging to us. We're looking forward to a long-term partnership with them.


This morning (Monday), I woke up before Ruthie and watched a movie called The Scar which consisted mostly of men in suits holding business meetings in Polish. I should have watched the special features to get a handle on what it was about, but I was too bored to take the time.

I spent a little time with our iguana, Rocket, before Ruthie and I went to take a walk around Stone Mountain. Thank God we have one day a week to rest. I needed it badly.


3 comments:

  1. awesome weekend. wish we could have joined you for the block party....to see your soccer skills. we were at stone mountain on sunday, too. would have been fun to connect, but i'm sure it was sweet to have some down/alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your little stories. And I laughed at your Blood Diamond comment. Isaac says it's "one of those Africa movies", the kind that tries to be really emotional and powerful and bring up issues of suffering and poverty. What can I say - I'm a sucker and I think most of them ARE great. Not all though. I didn't like the Tears of the Sun US military portrayal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi liked Blood Diamond better than I did, but I suspect that had something to do with a bearded Leonardo.

    The Constant Gardener is one of those Africa movies, but Ralph Fiennes is so good I didn't care.

    ReplyDelete