Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nude Feet (Pt. 2)

About 75 miles of the Appalachian Trail (AT) wind through the mountains of North Georgia. It has been calling my name since I got lost on it about 6 years ago, and my desire to run the entire Georgia section has intensified after a hike to the top of Blood Mountain, the highest point on the trail in Georgia.

So here is the idea: My brother Eric and I train all summer for long-distance, barefoot trail running. The last week before he returns to college, we begin running the AT in 15-20 mile chunks. Our support team (Ruthie, anyone else who wants to see us suffer) will travel to meeting points where we will set up camp, eat, rest, and prepare for the next day. Over five days, we will run the whole GA section of the AT.

So what does this have to do with our ministry? Plenty. We will be doing the run to raise money for the arts program at a local school, in order to improve our community, build relationships within the school, and demonstrate God's love in a way that will provide creative opportunities for the neighborhood.

I sent an e-mail to barefooting legend Barefoot Rick, who has a huge heart for ministry. I told him about the plan, and he is praying about the possibility of running with us. He offered me some great tips, and suggested Isaiah 52:7 as a theme verse.

"How lovely on the mountains are the feet of him who brings good news, who announces peace and brings good news of happiness, who announces salvation, and says to Zion, 'Your God reigns!'"

It's funny how well this verse fits with our vision for this run. Thanks, Rick!

I'll post information on how to contribute once I work out the logistics with the school, but look for more information as August draws nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment